Ways to Soothe a Sunburn
Aside from the common “apply aloe vera gel” to soothe a painful sunburn, here are a couple more useful and very helpful remedies that you should keep in mind when you are looking for sunburn relief! (And better yet, most of the stuff you probably already have in your kitchen!)
- Add 1 tsp. baking soda into a quart of cool water and apply the mixture with a washcloth to the sunburned areas
- Apply aloe from an aloe plant
- Apply grated potatoes to sunburned skin (The starch from the potatoes helps to soothe and cool)
- Add black or green tea to bathwater (or apply tea bags to affected area)
- Apply egg whites for an instant cooling sensation
- Apply vinegar to prevent peeling
A lathery shaving cream that can be made at home!
- 1 cup shampoo
- 1 cup conditioner
- 5 tbsp. lotion
- 5 tbsp. coconut oil
- Combine all ingredients; mix well
*The consistency of this mixture is somewhat thin. To thicken it, you can add more lotion.
Naturally highlight your hair at home!
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine ingredients; mix well
- Apply to hair and let sit for 30 minutes (sitting in the sun helps even more)
*It’s always a good idea to test a small section of your hair before doing larger sections incase the results are not what you desired (red undertones can cause orange-ish looking results)
Coat your lips in this tropical island inspired lip gloss!
- 1 tsp. grated cocoa butter
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. macadamia nut oil
- 1 tsp. light sesame oil
- 1/8 tsp. vitamin E oil
- Combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl/container; warm mixture in the microwave until cocoa butter and coconut oil are melted
- Stir well
- Transfer mixture into lip gloss containers for storage
- Let cool completely before using
Banish a pimple…..with garlic!
- Cut the shelled, raw piece of garlic and rub it on the pimple
*There will be a reduction in redness and swelling within 24 hours
It sounds weird (Crisco and all) but give this moisturizing hand cream recipe a try!
- 4 oz. Crisco
- 2 oz. beeswax
- 2 oz. glycerin
- 2 tbsp. liquid lecithin
- 4 oz. distilled water
- Combine all ingredients; melt until a liquid forms (using a double boiler or the microwave)
- Using a whisk, mix the just melted ingredients until the mixture begins to thicken
- Transfer the mixture into a container for storage
- Let cool before using
Create your own delicious honey cocoa lip balm in your kitchen!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- 3/4 tsp. grated beeswax
- 1/2 tsp. pure cocoa butter
- Couple drops of flavored oil
- 1 vitamin E capsule
- In a small saucepan heat oil, honey, wax and butter over low heat (until just melted)
- Remove from heat
- Let cool 2-3 minutes
- Stir in the oil drops and the vitamin E capsule
- Pour the mixture into a tin or small container (whatever you want to use to store your lip balm)
- Cool before using